Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, November 11, 2018

September 5th, 1978: Petey's First Day of School (Kindergarten)!

Today was Peter's first day of school.  It rained all day.  Petey started asking at 9:00am, "Isn't it time to go yet?" And he kept telling me, "you're making me late for school, Mommy!".  

We started out to walk to school in the rain, but Connie Leedy passed us with Tricia and picked us up.  I saw Tricia's school box and realized I'd forgotten Pete's, so Connie brought us back home and I quickly ran in and grabbed it.  

Pete wore his green pants, his new green and black knit shirt, and his new shoes.  Then he had on Gretchen's coat because of the rain.  

I took my camera and took a picture of Pete and Tricia under the St. Matthew's sign.  I took another with Miss Scott, who came out to meet the children, but I think she moved.  Connie kissed Tricia goodbye, but Pete just went off without a backward look.  The teacher said to him, "you've been waiting a long time", and took him in.

I didn't shed a tear, but we had hot chocolate with marshmallows to celebrate when he came home.  He'd painted two pictures (we put them on the refrigerator), helped with the weather forecast ("I put the clouds on, Mommy!"), had a safety lesson (he told Thelma, "they told us to be careful what sounds we put in our ears."), and an arithmetic lesson "about 'near' and 'close'...no about 'one' and 'many'"

"We had a picture of a carnival and we had to circle two little boys and and one little boy, and popcorn..."

Whatever he actually did, he enjoyed it and he said "the teacher told all the children they have to be very careful of me"

He took a piece of driftwood for "Show & Tell" because he wanted to tell about his vacation, but they didn't do that today.

---
This should be the occasion for philosophical reflection, but I can see only "one more Milestone passed forever!".

No comments:

Post a Comment