Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Thursday, September 1st, 1977-in which Aunt Betty loses her ducks and geese

Dr.  Baskerville's office called this morning.  Pete's white count is down so they said to cut his medication in half till the next count.  He goes to MSTI again next week.  Thelma called @ 10:00 am and woke me.  She's not sure if she'll be able to take us-last time they only paid her 4 cents a mile for her trip to Weiser and that didn't cover her gas.  Betty called and she came @ 2 pm.  I heated up and iced by second loaf of cinnamon bread.  Petey fussed so much about having some I told him I wasn't going to give him any.  Then I let him have half a slice.  I told him tonight that was a mistake and I wasn't going to do it again-that if he wanted nice things, he must learn not to cry and fuss or he wouldn't get any.  I explained to him several times that it was wrong to tell him I wouldn't let him have something, and then give it to him, and that it wouldn't happen again.  Finally he said "I'm scared about what you said, Mama", but I was certain he understood.  Betty came at two, and she helped me select 3 continuing projects my students can do in Sunday School.  We agreed that was all the "crafts" I'd have time for.  Aging "parchment" with a candle we decided to leave for the parents to do at home if they want to.  I'm not risking burns or fire at church.  She pointed out I didn't have to get through everything listed for each session and we crossed out the parts I don't intend to use.  If Bryan is in the class, I'll have to do a lot of reading out loud because he's still having trouble reading...Betty says she wishes he could learn braille to see if that would help.  He's dyslexic.  Petey has just about memorized Batman.  He "read" it to me last night.  Betty said someone had shot, or else a pack of wild dogs had gotten six of their ducks and five of their geese.  The bodies were torn but not eaten.  The one remaining goose cost her $25.00 at the vet's-wing splint, antibiotics, salve because so many of it's feathers were torn off...and Babe didn't even bark.  The police are investigating and they got another dog-part shepherd-to keep guard outside.  Read last night about an electric shock method for stopping smoking-wish I could try it!  Pete built a farm on the kitchen table tonight.  He played with it for over an hour.  I invented a "trash collector" tonight who collects little boys who don't pick up their toys in a big truck and takes them to work on a farm.  Pete knows it's a "protest"...Betty wants a horse-and they're having sheep again.

No comments:

Post a Comment