Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Sunday, August 7th, 1977-in which Nancy Takes Communion, we take a visit to the farm, and mom debates letting me see Star Wars

Dad phoned at what I thought was 9:00am this morning to tell me they were on their way for church.  It seems our power had been off for 45 minutes.  I remember waking in the night to find the bathroom light off, and thinking "I'll have to get Dad to change the bulb".  I told Dad we couldn't possibly be ready but he said they'd stop by on their way in anyhow, just on the off chance.  Petey rushed into his good suit and added a dash of the after shave lotion Betty Phipps gave him.  I was going to just send Pete with my collection envelope, but then I decided to dress, too.  Dad arrived before I was ready and I was going to send him on with Pete, but he said he'd wait, so I got to church after all (alas, with no stockings again-I hadn't time to put any on).  I was glad because today was Communion Sunday-the first Sunday of the month.  Petey came up to the alter rail with me to receive a blessing.  I like the idea of the whole family-even the ones who ware too young to receive communion taking part in the celebration of Christ.  After church Dad drove us to the farm to pick some vegetables for us.  Betty and Harold were still asleep but woke up while we were there.  Petey was very shy at first and wouldn't speak to Uncle Harold.  Then he relented a little (Harold said "Uncles aren't very popular today") and told him about "The Rescuers" and how "Tale of Two Critters".  Peter heard the boys talking and now he wants to go to "Star Wars", but I think it's too old for him.  Dad took Mom and me on a tour of the garden and picked us some squash, cabbage, and corn.  Then it was time to leave, and I had to persuade Pete to abandon trying to catch a duck with Richie.  Dad drove us home through Weiser, where we had lunch: a hotdog and milk for Pete, hamburgers and shakes for us.,  We stopped at Safeway on the way home and I got more milk, cube steak, packaged ham and chicken, and some coleslaw dressing.  Pete and I had long naps-I was exhausted.  Then we took Betty Phipps squash, beets, and corn, and I stayed for coffee.  Petey returned her little cars and wanted to play with the toy horses, but they were put away in the storeroom.  We hadn't been home long when Betty knocked, with the horses.  She'd dug them out for Pete, so he played "Lone Ranger and Tonto" while I cooked (corn, cube steak, and mushrooms...and I made coleslaw).  Then Pete had a bath.  Yellow Rabbit and Duckie had a birthday party in the tub, with the little boats for presents-and we made yellow rabbit stand up and float in Pete's blue boat.  Read him Hop On Pop  and A Visit to the Firehouse.  I reread Mrs. Arris Goes to Paris-very cheering.  He and I played that his grape juice was purple milk tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment