Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Monday, August 8th 1977-in which blood is taken, a storm door fixed, and Stewart makes a dubious promise

Got Pete ready for his blood test.  Before we were dressed there was a knock at the door.  Someone had finally come to fix our storm door.  I got the panel that come out off the back porch and Mr. Nelson spent some time trying to figure out how to put it in.  Then he went away to telephone the Tuttles.  Leslie came  by to pick us up.  Pete and I went up to the lab together and, as usal, he spent some time with the lab technicians.  He had his Batman book with him and was showing Shirley Kimball how well he knew his colors.  Her mother was there (she lives only 3 blocks from us) so Pete got officially introduced and said hello.  The lab had several rush jobs so I took Pete out to the waiting room.  He told me to stay there and went in all by himself (he said next time he'd let watch).  Then we met Leslie in the first floor waiting room and we all went down to the cafeteria.  Pete had roast pork and a small helping of mashed potatoes and gravy.  I had lasagna and a piece of chocolate cake (it fell on my tray when I was trying to get out a piece of pie, so I took it).  I gave Pete a bite.  When we got home Leslie gave Pete an envelope-it had $5.00 in it to put toward his bicycle.  She starts work next Monday, so she won't be able to take us again.  When Pete and I got home he wanted to play fire engine.  Then he went over to Betty Phipps' house.  Bill was feeling sick and wanted to sleep so I told Pete to come home.  He refused so I picked him up, carried him home (screaming) and spanked him.  Then I explained to him, carefully, several times, tha if he din't come home when I told him so, I wouldnt let him go visiting any more.  I think he finally understood.  Then Mr. Nelson came back to put on a new door,  Turned out he knows Dad.  Petey got his tool kit and "helped".  I let him watch, but tried to keep him out of the way.  Mr. Nelson took both old storm doors off Betty Phipps' house too, but said they won't be able to replace hers for 2 to 3 days.  It was 3:00pm when Mr. Nelson finished the door (the chain had been put on wrong on the old one).  I put Petey down for an hour's nap and set the alarm so we'd wake up for "his" programs.  After watching "Sesame Street", "Mr. Rogers", and "Electric Company" he went outside to play.  Then Betty came over with the photos Joanie had taken while they were here.  Then she gave me one of Petey taking Danny the Puppet (a marionette style doll owned by Betty Phipps-PL)on a tricycle ride.  She came out in front and we visited while Pete played "Weebles Vacation".  Then Daniel came home and Pete ran over and hugged him.  Daniel moved the hoses and Pete had a great time squelching in the wet grass.  Then Julie and Michael from Bible School came over to play with Pete.  I had to heat his dinner twice because they went away and came back again two times while I was trying to get him to eat.    They lost Weeble in the grass but we found him again.  Then Julie lost her bow and came back for it.    At 10:00pm, I sent them home because "their mother would be worried" (well, I would have been) and Petey had to eat.  They asked what would be a good time to play and I told them about six o clock tomorrow night.  Called Dad-we'll go "errand running" about 1:00pm tomorrow.  Called John Sandquist and he said he had another letter from Stewart for me.  Stewart's promise to pay child support but I'm sure he won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment