Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, August 5, 2018

July 16th, 1978 (Sunday): Grandpa Hans preaches the sermon

Dad preached the sermon today-on predestination.  He talked about the parable of the wheat and the thorns, and it was frightening because-as he pointed out-we can't know which we are.  He mentioned the attitudes of despair, or condescension this can produce, "knowing" that we are saved ("the elect are numbered") and therefore looking down on everyone else, or "knowing" we are doomed so that nothing we do matters.

I believe in predestination a little (did Judas have to betray Christ, or had he a choice?).  At least I believe there is an appropriate time for us to die and we have no right to hasten it by suicide, but I don't think I believe we must be good or bad.  Surely "the forgiveness of sins" means we can choose to be be better-to abandon old ways and lead a good life (but I don't know about venial and cardinal sins-is a distinction God makes?-and how do we know?).  What is the unforgivable sin, the sin against the Holy Ghost?  I don't know what I'll be at harvest time.

No comments:

Post a Comment