Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, August 13, 2018

July 19th, 1978: Ghost Stories

I've been reading ghost stories; Asquith's Second and Third Ghost Books, and the Fourth Ghost Book, with a different editor, whose selections I didn't like as well.  My roommate and I saw a ghost in Hawaii-a tall faceless shape, like a blue flame.  I felt it looking at me, she heard it "cough", and we both saw it in our hallway.  Our hall was always cold after that-in Hawaii!  We were so scared we moved our beds into one room, and put every religious object we could find (crosses, our Bibles, our prayer books) on the threshold of the room-and left the light on all night.  We thought of having it exorcised, but the rites seemed so harsh to the poor ghost, we decided against it.

It never did us any harm-in fact, it didn't seem to have anything to do with us-and we only saw it once, tho the cold lingered.  One of our friends had a rocking chair that rocked all by itself where ever she put it (and no, it wasn't a defect in the rockers).  

Then I heard my grandmother's voice after she died.  She'd never seen Petey, and I heard her voice from the corner by his crib.  She just said "Oh, isn't he beautiful?" and I was comforted that she had seen him after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment