Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, August 13, 2018

July 22nd, 1978: Children's Lit Classics (Pre Pokemon!)

I was feeding mom tonight and Howard called me "Nurse Jane Fuzzywuzzy" so we started to recall all our favorite childhood books.  Uncle Wiggily was always making soup in an old tin can, and I always thought it sounded wonderful.  And we were always captivated by the improbable sequence of events that ended each story ("if all this doesn't happen, I'll tell you another story tomorrow").

We loved Burgess' Old Mother West Wind stories and the Oz books (our library is so highfalutin', it doesn't have Oz books!).  I used to spend hours with Nancy Drew-tho her stupidity in exploring "empty" houses herself led me to throw a book across my room.

We were very fond of the Bobbsey Twins, and Betty and I liked Honeybunch.  Of course I spend hours dreaming over The Little Colonel.  I had masses of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy books.  We had The Five Little Peppers and its sequels.  I even had Pollyanna and Elsie Dinsmore (though my mother always threatened to slap me if I acted like either one).   And of course we had "classics" (usually two or three copies) like Little Women and The Swiss Family Robinson and Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates.

I'd like Petey to read my favorites, but I can't find Uncle Wiggily or the Raggedys anywhere*.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Eventually we were able to locate them as well as many of the Oz stories which I remember fondly to this day!


No comments:

Post a Comment