Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, September 2, 2018

July 23rd, 1978 (Sunday): The Necklace

Today Sandy (EDITOR'S NOTE: Sandy was wife and partner to my Uncle Howard-the youngest sibling of Mom & Aunt Betty), Betty and I divided up some of Mom's jewelry.  Dad had asked Betty to do it while Sandy was here so she could pick something she wanted.  

I felt rather like one of the soldiers dicing for Christ's garment, but I was given back a necklace which has a curious history.  I used to sell my jewelry at a small florist's shop.  Then the owner was ill and had to go out of business.  I came in to collect my jewelry and she offered to sell me a Chinese soapstone pendant.  I liked it and gave her $20.00-just, as it happened-what she needed to finish paying the rent (the rent collector was there).  I got some white onyx beads and heavy gold coloured chain and made a necklace for it.  Robert Belog liked the necklace so much he gave me $25.00 for it and gave it to me as a present.  I wore it on a visit to my grandmother and she insisted it was so beautiful I ought to give it to my mother so I did.  While our house was being burgled three times in London, Mother kept the pendant safe at home.  When Stewart got my jewelry out of a safe deposit box in San Francisco, he pawned my diamond ring and antique gold earrings, but Mother still had my pendant.  So now I have it back-preserved only because I gave it away!

Betty also gave me back the Nell Gwyn (sp?) doll and the Anne Boleyn doll I had sent to Grandmother and to Mother.  All my souvenirs of England were left behind in London when I came home directly from Bermuda, but these dolls I have because I sent them home as gifts.  That's a result I hadn't foreseen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment