Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, September 2, 2018

July 26, 1978: Counting Blessings

I was just counting my blessings tonight.  Mom went home from hospital today.  Betty, Dad, and Mom stopped by briefly so I got to see her.

Pete played in his pool this afternoon and went to see "Star Wars" tonight (EDITOR'S NOTE: Reminder that Star Wars was the Star Wars of my generation!).  Janet and Terry took Pete and Fawn.  He was SO Excited, saying "IO know I won't get to go!  I know I won't get to go!"-on the brink of tears.  

He had his IVs today.  He got to give them himself again.  He was looking forward to that so much he almost forgot to say "ouch" when Dir. de la Paz started the IV.  She asked me if Pete got nauseated from the IVs.  Some of their patients vomit so much that they have to be admitted to hospital, but Pete went out and had lunch at the Dairy Queen.  He looks so healthy this summer.  His cheeks are rosy and pink (you can see has blood), and he plays all day, splashing in his pool, going for "bicycle walks" (he rides his bicycle on the sidewalk and walks it across the streets with my help), and playing endless games with the children in the neighborhood.  He plays cowboy, "Iron Man", "Batman & Robin", "Wonder Woman", house, and "Star Wars".  

His legs and back have started to pain him and tonight his stomach hurt, but so far half a Tylenol and a little gentle rubbing have been adequate cures.  He wanted to try a heating pad, but with the temperature over 100 degrees, I didn't think that was a good idea.  

He's having such a happy summer.  Whatever happens, I'll have all these good times to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment