Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, September 10, 2018

August 5th, 1978: Lullaby and Good Night: Songs to Sooth

Petey likes a song at bedtime.  I can't carry a tune, but he's not critical of my singing.  What I sing depends on the mood he's in.  If he's frightened, I sing "Jesus Loves The Little Children", "Jesus Loves Me", or "Rock of Ages".  If we're talking about England, I sing "Don't Dilly Dally" or "Oh You Are a Mucky Kid" (wish Stewart would send us some English music).  If he's sad, I sing "Old Man River", or "Down in the Valley", or "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen".  There are lullabies, "Schlay, Bobbeli, Schlay", "Brahms' Lullaby", "Sleep, My Child and Peace Attend Thee" (I don't know the real title), or "Sarasponda".

He likes "Beautiful Saviour", and "I come to the Garden".  Then there are spirituals, "Sweet Chariot", "Rock My Soul".  He likes nonsense songs, "Go Tell Aunt Rhody", "Froggie Would A Wooing Go", "Clementine", "Sweet Betsy From Pike"; work songs, "I've Been Working On The Railroad", "Casey Jones", "John Henry"; prison songs, "The Midnight Special".

He likes "Barbry Ellen", "Stumptown Races", "America", "This Land is Your Land", and "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands".

One song usually calls another to mind, and I go on till he drifts off to sleep, but his favorites are "I love you" songs: "You are my Sunshine" and "I Love You a Bushel and a Peck".


No comments:

Post a Comment