Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, September 9, 2018

July 31st, 1978: For the Love of Reading

Pete and I indulged in our chief form of recreation today.  We went to the library.  I took back two large grocery sacks, filled with books.  These included all but one of my haul from the State library.  Pete and I toured the art exhibit, pottery and stuffed hangings.  Three was a charming batik duck, and an array of pottery bird houses-along with an enigmatic pottery harvest moon.  Peter checked out a different version of "Peter Pan" (he has one, which, with Mia Farrow's, makes 3 different versions he's listed to) and I checked out the story of "The Nutcracker Prince" for him and "Jesus Christ, Superstar" for myself.  We read two of this choices, Conrad's Castle and A Dragon in the Clock Box for bedtime stories.  I couldn't decide which of my choices I was in the mood for, so I read some of Bridge's Ginger Griffin, and some of Eberhart's Wings of Fear.  Peter went to Vicky's house to play, so I shocked Daniel, our neighbor, by sitting on the front lawn reading (The Ginger Griffin).  Pete also varied his reading by insisting on reading my Betty Crocker Basic Baking cookbook tonight.  He carefully surveyed all the steps for making bread, rolls, pies, and cakes.  Then he wanted me to read it with him.  It's a good thing he does enjoy books since his activities are so limited in other ways.  He reminds me of The Little Lame Prince-instead of a magic carpet, he has books.

No comments:

Post a Comment