Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday, August 15th, 1977-in which we visit the hospital and rehearse our emergency plans in case Stewart's threats ever turn real

Was awakened by a phone call at 8:30am-the transportation lady wanted to make sure we really needed a ride to the hospital.  She told me a Mr. Baker would be taking us and that Paul Gates would take us to Boise on the 18th.  She almost had me convinced that we had to go to Boise again but we're not due there till Sept. 7th (and then only for a CBC).  Pete an d I got ready.  Mr. Baker seemed kindly but a little slow, and he didn't have time to let us go to the cafeteria because he had to get home for his lunch.  Pete cried, but he cheered up and talked to Sister Angelica.  She counted his blood (he had over 6000 white cells today) while he watched, and then she showed him how to stain a slide and let him look at one under the microscope.  She said she's training him to be a lab technician.  I got Mr. Baker to drop us at the Dairy Queen and Pete had a corn dog while I ate a cheeseburger.  We walked home from there.  We took early naps and Pete started trying to wake me at 2:30pm but I just couldn't wake up.  I had a very vivid dream about Robert Belog (sp-PL) in which I stopped him from marrying "someone entirely unsuitable".  Finally  dragged myself awake in time to turn on "Lillias, Yoga, and You", and tried some of the exercises-not too energetically-I'm really out of condition.  Read part of Fair Exchange today, then looked at the ending to make sure it turned out the way I thought it did (the loving brother, heroic POW, is actually a Communist spy).  Pete watched "Sesasme Street" while I rested and we watched Mr. Rogers and Electric Company together-both Spiderman and Letterman (presumably NOT the late night host-PL) were on tonight.  Pete and I played Batman and Robin, acting out his book about the "Dynamic Duo", with Pete explaining to me how we could pretend our arms were capes.  Then Pete announced he was cooking dinner: green beans and hamburger-he did everything except opening the can of beans and turning the hamburger.  After we ate, I got Betty Phipps' hose (got Daniel to attach it for me) and Pete and I watered her flowers, put on the sprinkler, and left it to soak the lawn.  I put her mail inside, then couldn't get the lock to close (Daniel finally found it had to be snapped on the inside).  Pete got his tricycle out , then went to visit with Daniel and Maria-we sat in chairs on the front lawn again.  Then Julie and Mike Warren came over to play with Pete.  He raced his tricycle around the drive after their bicycles (there was one heart stopping moment when Probasco's drove in and I couldn't see Petey, but he was O.K.).  They played golf wit the clubs on the lawn.  It got dark so we came in and had some cantaloupe (cut up with the nice sharp knife Bill Phipps gave me).  Then Pete went to bed-early for him-at 10:30pm.  He said "Momma, I think Cliff Looney's going to put Stewart in jail.  He won't let Stewart kidnap us, will he Mommy?".  Went through our safety drill-name address, telephone number, NEVER get in a strange car, go to the police or "Paul Paul".  We practice for an emergency just in case Stewart 's threats are serious.  My period started.

No comments:

Post a Comment