Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Wednesday, August 17th-1977 in which a check finally arrives, and Petey has a frustrating trip to the Emergency Room

My check finally came but I can't take it to the bank until Friday.  Dad's coming in then to take us.  We went to the Emergency Room today for Pete's IVs.  Our driver just took us and dropped us because she had to pick up another lady in Vale at 2:30pm.  I took the heating pad along and we tried warming Petey's feet again.  I suggested a 25 needle as Dr. Holt had, but the smallest they had was a 23.  Then the Emergency Room doctor and our nurses hunted for a vein.  But he had no good veinsin hands or feet.  There were only a deep vein in the arm and one in the forehead.  They tried for one in the hand but the nurse said it was just like a sunken ditch-couldn't get into it.  They called Dr. Baskerville but she was out of town and Linda Nelson was off-duty.  Finally they called Dr. Holt in Weiser and made an appointment for Pete at 11:30am tomorrow morning.  They gave me Pete's medicine (restored to its bottles) to take home and refrigerate and take with me tomorrow.  Then Terry Gough called Children's Services to arrange for a ride tomorrow.  Pete had a balloon and a pudding "treat" from the machine in the waiting room.  The pop machine was out of order and he'd had no lunch., tho a fattening pudding was the last thing he needed!  Pete was measured today and is 3'7".  After all the delays and arrangements, we had to take a cab home (we saw Marsha Dekker; her baby's due in 25 days).  I fed Pete alphabet soup and hot dogs (his choice).  At 3:00pm, he lay down in the living room on the bean bag chair , only to get up at 4:00pm for his programs.  Betty Baladez called to see if I wanted to enter Petey in Head Start, but I told her not till next year (his birthday is in November, near the cut-off date and I'd rather he were a little more mature to start school).  Marsha Dekker said she'd started late, and it had definitely been an advantage.  He'll have enough to do with Library Story Hour, music lessons, and Sunday School.  Our driver called to say could we leave at 10:30am because she doesn't know where the office is.  Went over to water Betty Phipps' houseplants, lawn, and flowers-took me nearly 3 hours of moving hoses.  Pete played outside till he tripped over tricycle and skinned his knee (not badly).  He stepped on my Tinker Toy firehouse and I pretended to cry so he patted me very gently.  Made Carol's salmon (poached in milk) for me-but Pete wanted a hamburger.  He did try the salmon tho.  Then Thelma called, just home.  She said she had presents for Pete and me, and did we want to go to the Fair.  I've been asking everywhere trying to find a way for Pete to go!  She might drive us to Weiser tomorrow.  Her father was at home while she was there so they had a good visit.  The kids had raised a ruckus while she was gone-tore the arm off her love seat, and Monty had been out drinking every night.  I finally finished moving hoses about 9:00pm and Petey yelled, "are you alright out there?!".  He's lost interest in watering.  Read him Farmer Palmer's Wagon Ride and When the Root Children Wake Up.  I read Murder at the Met (the murderer is suicide).

No comments:

Post a Comment