Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, June 6, 2016

Saturday, September 3rd, 1977-in which we do some Thrift Store shopping and do some reading.

Pete watched cartoons all morning-switching from channel 2 (tennis open) to channel 6, and stopping only briefly to have his breakfast creal.  This afternoon-at 3:oopm, Betty Phipps took us the Little Red House (theri 10 cent sale was over, but we picked up one Avon motorcycle full of aftershave for Pete-50 cents), to the Episcopalian Thrift Store <PL NOTE-Now the home of Next Chapter Food Pantry, managed by my wife, Wendi> (two dresses fro me @ 75 cents each, 3 books-10 cents each, and a doll bathrobe for Pete's dolly, a nickel), and to Salvation Army.  Their clothes were so high ($3 for a pair of pants, 75 cents for a navy blue skirt with no hem) that I didn't buy anything...but I found two records; Wanda Landowski playing the harpsichord and Glen Gould playing Bach (the corner of the cover had been chewed...probably by a puppy, but the record had never been opened) for 40 cents each, and Pete got 15 plastic horses he's put with his army.  I told Thelma about the skirt and she went over and got it for Sissie's school uniform.  I bought a few more books, too.  Got a copy of Aiken's Castle Barebone for 10 cents-so new it still had the jacket on, at the Thrift Shop.  The Salvation Army overcharged me a dime-not much but it's indicitive of their attitude.  I'll make my contributions, and they're fairly hefty, to the Thrift Shop from now on.  We got a letter from Carol Carr today-she's having a problem with the fishing boat.  She gets seasick!  Petey and I took naps at 5:00pm and spept till 8:30 because I didn't set the alarm.  Petey didn't want any dinner.  He just ate green pepper strips and jello.  The steak bulged in the pan and I had to slice it with that nice sharp knife Bill gave me to make it lie down flat.  Saved some for lunch tomorrow (hate to reheat it but I can't afford to waste that much).  After all that shopping, I just hhave a dollar left for church tomorrow.  Will have to take Monday's coffee money (Lorraine's taking us for our blood tests and stopping  afterwards) out of my $10.00 for Boise (be nice if we don't have to go).  My toe hurts.  I think I've popped out the joing.  Read Petey The Dead Tree and How The Sun Was Brought Back To The Sky, and I read Lathen's Come To Dusk (for the second time)-college politics, and A Stitch In Time-taking on the medical profession.  Pete and I listened to "Hardtack is a Fine Old Engine, Landowski", and Gould tonight.  He's getting an eclectic musical education.  Wish I knew more about music.  He said today he wants me to be his teacher in school because I'm a good teacher...nice someone still thinks so...

No comments:

Post a Comment