Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, June 6, 2016

Sunday, September 4th 1977-in which we practice our morning ritual, and Petey learns about Communion

We had our cereal-Petey left me "a bite on the bottom" of his (it's a complicated ritual where he has to leave me "a bite on the bottom" of everything he eats and "a little drip" of everything he drinks and vice-versa so we're "sharing").  Dad picked us up just before 10:00am.  We were a little late and Pete and I shared a pew with Betty and the children.  Pete was delighted to sit by Richie.  We stopped for coffee after church and Pete and his little friends played "chasing Jason".  It was Communion Sunday today and tonight Pete and I had a long discussion about why he couldn't take Communion.  I explained to him that he had to be grown up enough to understand what Communion was all about, that at Confirmation he would make for himself the promises that Uncle Harold, Aunt Betty, and I made for him when he was baptised.  I told him that some churces let children study about and take Communion when they were seven, but our church started Confirmation lessons at about 11...and he said "When I'm 13, I'll take Communion!"...I hope he lives long enough to (PL NOTE: I Did!).  I suggested he talk to Pastor about Communion because he could explain it better,  Peter wanted to know what the wafers and the wine were for.  I explained to him that Jesus had given his friends bread and wine and said "This do in remembrance of me" and that every Communion was a celebration of Jesus' life and our being rescued from sin, and given enternal life so that when we die we don't just "stop".  He seemed to understand, tho I'm sure Pastor could have done better.  I think Pete's really "ready" for confirmation classes now.  Pete spent a lot of time with MaryJo today.  She was very kind to him even playing ball on the front lawn with him.  I went out once to see what he was doing, then went back in and left them together.  Pete has a big crush on MaryJo-sometimes just seeing her will render him speechless and shy, and he'll hide behind my back-so he was in a state of bliss to have her all to himself...and playing!  Dad brought in lots of vegetables.  I took some over to Betty Phipps and put some adide for Thelma.  I saved some squash for Sylvia, but remembered when I phoned her that they're camping this weekend.  I called Thelma today and Monty picked up the phone and yelled "NO, VERNON'S NOT HERE!"  I was rather surprised but Thelma explained that a gang of kids had been taking it in turn to call up and ask for Vernon (he's in jail this weekend).  We're going to Thelma's for supper tomorrow.  Took Pete for a tricycle walk-we went down as far as the Episcopalian Church where he'll go to kindergarten next year-all going well.  A thin black and grey cat with a purple collar follwed us most of the way-in fact all the way home.  It must be someone's pet because of the collar, but it had no tag and we couldn't find anyone it belonged to-poor thing.  If it's still around tomorrow, I'll put some food out for it (even tho I know better).  Pete made "B"'s and "D"'s tonight, but said it was too hard for him to do any lessons.  I told him he dind't have to for a long time yet.  Bathed him, cut his finger nails, and read him Firerose.  I read The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Practise to Deceive (Linenger Police procedural).

No comments:

Post a Comment