Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Thursday, September 8th, 1977-in which Pete doesn't roar like a lion or croak like a frog

John Sandquist came by early this morning (about 9:30am) to pick up Stewart's latest letter.  He asked me what Stewart meant by "perjury" (this letter Stewart said he'd told Gene Stunz to put me in jail for perjury and that "a few days in the slammer would do me good"...and he'd make arrangements for Petey AFTER I was in jail), but of course I didn't know.  I don't even have a copy of the divorce petition so I can't imagine what he's referring to.  John arranged for volunteers to get us to Pete's music lesson after all.  Lorraine Bennett called a couple of times-said she'd take us on Thursdays if she's in town.  2:00pm finally came and Pete and I went to Frontier Music.  We saw a movie about Yamaha, then Mary (the teacher) had us all sit on the floor and let the children play tambourines.  Pete was very tentative about making a noise.  In fact, he was very shy about participating in anything today, so I'm glad I didn't start him in a regular school this year.  They were introduced to high, middle, and low notes today-along with "loud" and "soft", and different tempos.  Pete wouldn't roar like a lion, croak like a frog, or tweet like a bird...he just watched and listened to the others.  Sylvia came by for her vegetables and we had a pot of tea (had forgotten I'd locked the back porch door and she had to shout to remind me).  After we got home from Yamaha (Pete with his $18.50 kit of music books, music paper, colored pencils, and coloring book), it was time for Pete's programs so I turned them on and lay down for my nap.  Vicky called about 5pm and woke me, but Pete was asleep so I let him sleep through "Mr. Rogers" and woke him up for "Electric Company" (his favorite).  Vicky came over and they watched "Electric Company" and "Zoom".  Vicky painted (there was a leak in the pan for water, and water ran everywhere.  In fact, it was dripping down Vicky's leg but she didn't seem to care).  She ripped out a whole lot of construction paper then hid it in the bathroom wastebasket-why, I don't know-then we all played Batman outside and Vicky golfed with Pete's clubs.  Laurie called Vicky home just before 8:00pm (I'd just told Vicky I wanted to fix Pete's dinner), and offered to babysit for Pete.  I asked her how much she charged and she said $1.00 an hour so I can't afford her (I only get 50 cents an hour for babysitting!).  Dad stopped by just for a few minutes on their way home from Mom's doctor (he thinks she has another {illegible} but doesn't know whether to cauterize or not).  It was just before 2:000pm and we were expecting Thelma to take us to Pete's music lesson so we didn't have much of a visit.  Peter and I played with his "letter board" tonight.  He knows all his letters but confused "M" and "W".  Then we tried spelling words and sounding them out.  Pete performed quite well.  We had cube steak and watermelon for dinner and Pete finally ate something (finished his steak).  We read Hop On Pop, The Fire Station, and The March Wind tonight.  I finished Leninger's Death By Inches and started Macombers A Clearing In The Fog.  Called Margaret Bunce to see if Erik wants to go to library story hour.  Maybe we'll go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment