Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Thursday, July 12, 2018

June 25th, 1978: Fishing with Cousin Bernie

Pete went fishing today with his "big cousin" Bernie.  He was worried this morning because it was grey and overcast, but Bernie reassured him that that was the best weather for fishing.  The fish come to the top for insects left by the rain, he said.  Bernie had to get a license at Skagg's (drug store), and he got a jar of unsalted peanuts to share with Petey-but Petey knocked them over in the dirt.  He got worms at F&F (Grandpa financed the trip so Pete could go).  I asked Pete how he was going to get the worm on his hook, would he bait it?, and he said "Ugh!  Yuk!  I'm not putting the worm on!"

We dropped the two fisherman at Becker's Pond.  I had visions of Pete being struck by lightening (in case it rained), or getting caught by a fishhook, but I noticed there were cars there, so there'd be a grownup in case of emergency, and steeled myself to leave him.  We went back a little over an hour later.  Pete hadn't caught anything (I was glad because I haven't the faintest idea how to clean a fish!), but I guess he's a good companion, because Bernie offered to take him fishing at the farm "where there's not so much moss"

No comments:

Post a Comment