Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Saturday, July 14, 2018

June 29th, 1978: Lemonade, Bandaids, and Resentment

I seem to be the neighborhood first aid station and lemonade stand.  Every time Cindy, Lolita, or Vicky gets a scratch, they come to me for a Bandaid because "their mothers don't have any."  I finally told Lolita to tell her mother to buy some.

I always dribble on plenty of Bactine first, to help prevent infection-but I wonder, does Bactine and a Bandaid constitute practicing medicine without a license?...and why I should I use up all my Bandaids on the neighbors?  But I cant pass by those pleading faces-or Vicky saying, "This scratch hurts." 

The lemonade irks me more.  I don't mind making it once in a while for a special treat, but I don't expect to serve the whole neighborhood every day, and I especially don't like it when Lolita orders me to give her lemonade.  I've taken to saying "no, but you can have a glass of water"...and what a lot of water I lug when Cindy and Lolita could go home for a drink (EDITOR'S NOTE: Cindy and Lolita lived in the house immediately in back of our duplex).  Lemonade and Bandaids are luxuries on my budget, not necessities, but I suppose I'll go on purveying, and resenting it.  Somewhere I keep hearing a voice saying "Inasmuch as ye do it unto the least of my creatures" and my conscience won't let me refuse....though my mind tells me it's an imposition.  If only I could be reconciled to feeling one way or the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment