Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Friday, July 13, 2018

June 28th, 1978: Defrosted Freezers, Dripping Paint, Batplanes and Beets

I read Gilbreth's (sp)  Time Out For Happiness today and was surprised to find out it was the senior Gilbreths (sp) who originated the technique of having the nurse hand the surgeon the proper instrument, thus cutting some operating times as much as 2/3rds.  AND they originated much of the rehabilitation study for the physically handicapped. 

My day would have failed sadly in any time and motion study.  It took me from 12:30pm to 6:00pm to defrost the refrigerator, but while I was doing that, I supervised two lots of children in Pete's wading pool-staying with them the whole time they were in, in case of accidents; went to a restaurant for lunch with Dad and Pete; went to the library (again with Dad and Pete); and read TOFH..

Pete and I painted the front steps (and ourselves) this morning-Pete doing a very good job in spite of getting his brush completely in the paint, and Dad and I cleaned the brushes while I was defrosting.  I picked a hot day for it (my frozen apricots melted, but I didn't trust them anyway), and have now resolved to me efficient by not letting it get so heavily iced up again. 

We had rain, a windstorm, and thunder tonight but about 9:00pm it was clear and still light, so Petey took his Batman and Spiderman planes with launchers outside.

When I looked out to see what he was doing, he and Daniel (Eiguren) each had one and they were having contests to see who could fire the furthest.  They tried launching them sideways, upside-down, and straight up.  One of Pete's shots misfired and he knocked Daniel's cap off.  Vicky came over and Daniel surrendered his Batplane to her, but Laurie called her to come home at once and get ready for bed.  She ran off with the plane, and Pete, small legs churning, went off indignantly after her to GET IT BACK.  He and Daniel resumed their game, and Daniel got Pete to fire the planes simultaneously, one with each hand.  One of the planes lit on Daniel's roof, and he knocked it down with a broom.  They narrowly missed sticking it in the sycamore tree, so each shot was suspenseful.  At 10:00pm, when it was dark, the two of them turned to more grownup pursuits than flights of fancy.

Our house is surrounded by gardens:  Helen's garden, Daniel's garden, and Pete's "garden"-as planted by Daniel.  It's a good thing I don't have a green thumb!  I was admiring Helen's yucca plant today, in full flower, and she told me she's had it for 10 years and this is the first time its bloomed (I had an orchid in San Francisco and a well meaning Japanese gardener cut off the flowering stalk that takes 7 years to grow.  I wonder if it's blooming for someone now?).  She'd just decided it was a male and would never blossom when it "came out" spectacularly.  She gave me a bouquet of nasturtiums (sp) and their leaves, with some carrot tops for "fern".  They have a very faint pleasant odor, and I have them in a green cup that matches their leaves.

Pete's "garden" boasts four green peppers and Pete counts them every day, lest the neighbors pick one.  There are tomato plants and some beets just sprouting.  Daniel's garden occupies the front of the house: poppies, marigolds, and chrysanthemums-and all the space under the clotheslines (vegetables).  Good thing my sister washes for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment