Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Friday, July 22nd, 1977-In which Pete earns a spanking,

I slept through the alarm this morning-woke up and jumped into my clothes because it was nearly 9:00am.  Pushed Pete into his clothes and then Sylvia called.  She wasn't going to Iseri's after all because she needed to get her marriage certificate for her passport first (she's got to be certain of being able to go and get back before she makes a reservation because she doesn't want to pay for a cancelled booking).  But she came over anyway to see us.  Pete played with Sharon and Little Davey and I made Sylvia a pot of Darjeeling Tea.  It tasted pretty much like Lipton's.  Just after she left, Betty (Nelson-Sister PL) came in with the laundry and my books.  She'd spilled something sticky into the sack so I didn't get them back in the condition I lent them (too bad, they were almost "mint" and I'd counted on trading them in at the used book store, but now I doubt if I can get much for them)*.  She was upset with Tina because she'd nagged and nagged about her birthday present (her birthday's in October), so Betty finally gave it to her today, and told her all she's getting for her birthday is a card.  The boys are at it as well-Harold had ordered custom made collapsible rods from F&F for them, but they nagged and nagged for $8.99 ones from Skaggs (an area Department Store-PL)...so, Harold cancelled his order and got them the cheap ones.  Richie hadn't fussed so he's getting a good one.  Some days I'm awfully glad I only have one child.  Pete had a temper tantrum today over a cup of coffee (so we see here, my habit began early-PL).  He was pretending to be company and I poured him a cup with lots of milk.  Then he wouldn't drink it because he wanted to to add the milk himself.  I wouldn't give him another cup and he fussed and fussed until I finally spanked him.  He said, "Mommy, you hurt me when you spanked me", and I was very unsympathetic.  I said, "you were being naughty and I warned you.  I intended it to hurt".  Then he drank his coffee and had a second cup, to which he added the milk:  It doesn't happen often, but I think he needs to be reminded now and then, about the meaning of "no".  I wrote to Noreen McGinley today, and to Mr. Paschlee, Idaho Security Agent for Mountain Bell-since John told me they're still interested in Stewart's whereabouts.  I hadn't much concrete information to offer, except his mother's address (apt 11, Windmill, Harper Street), but if Stewart makes a definite appointment with John, I'll tell Mr. Paschlee when and where (not that Stewart would keep any such appointment, but, as John says, "Its best to be prepared rather than miss the chance").  Thelma didn't call or come by so Pete didn't get his swim.  I tried to call her but her line was busy for hours.  Pete had his Methatrexate today, apparently without side effects.  My period ended today, for which I'm grateful.  It was so hot, I didn't cook dinner till 11:00pm (but I'd left a burner on on the stove for I don't know how long).  Watched Boston POPS with a Mime Troupe tonight and Arlo Guthrie with Pete Seeger.  Pete like the guitar playing.  Wish it would rain!!!

*Context and Insights:  I imagine that, as with any family dynamic, there must have been a bit of sibling rivalry there-Mom was the oldest of 3-so some of her frustration bleeds through here.  It's also interesting to have a window into the early days of my cousins (Bernie, Bryan, and Richie)' eventual shared love of fishing-specifically fly fishing.  I know Bernie in particular spends a lot more than $8.99 on his equipment these days =-)-PL

No comments:

Post a Comment