Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, September 28, 2015

Tuesday, August 2nd, 1977

Today was very hot again (Daniel told me that yesterday it was 103 degrees), and we had a long day.  Dr. Baskerville's office called this morning and said Pete could go back to his regular medication.  Then the new public health nurse, ad Mrs. Reeves, called and she came by to see Petey at 11:00.  That meant a little rushing around to get dressed since we hadn't bothered when we got up.  She said her 3 children had all had music lessons at Frontier Music and she thought they were very good.  Pete showed her his organ and she told him a story about "little boy c taking a walk up the scales with his mother, then by himself, and his neighbor, Mr. D. who lived between two black trees, helping him get home.". Pete ate his piece of cold chicken and I had a liverwurst sandwich.  Then Dad came at one.  He brought me a beautiful long blue dress from Betty.  I had been part of her Trousseau but didn't fit her-it has an embroidered smocked top0an empire3 waist line.  I wrote Mr. Tuttle a note about the broken front door and enclosed it with my check for the rent.  Dad took us to the bank (put another $10 in Pete's savings account), the ost office, the Prudential office, and Payless Drug.  I bought a lot there and I thought the clerk said $5.95 (beautiful daydream) but it came to $12.95 (ABDEC vitamins, cigarettes, tampons, toothpaste, and a Batman and Robin book for Pete because he was playing Batman this morning with kitchen towel for his cape).  Then we went to the library (I finished the G's and the H's to Harrington) and to Safeway (They were out of Edwards coffee and there was no one in the office to ask if my pictures had come).  Dad bought Pete two suckers-I took them away from him to "save for a special treat" since the bank had already given him a sucker.  Then we went to the A&W-Dad and I had root beer floats and Pete had a hamburger (but I ate most it) and milk.  By the time we got home it was 4:30pm so I put Pete's pillow and blanket in the living room and turned on "Sesame Street".  Then I went to sleep-so did Pete.  He slept through "Electric Company" and cried and cried till I got him interested in "Happy Days" (I wanted to watch Jack Benny but Pete didn't) and "Lavern and Shirley"".  "M*A*S*H*" was a rerun so we went outside.  Sylvi8a had called me to babysit while she went to ceramics class but Dave got home and called to say they weren't coming.  But while we were playing with Pete's airplanes, Dave drove up with Sharon and little Davey.  He had to go to Midvale, so he left them with me (with not even a spare diaper for Davey).  They played (more kitchen towel capes) outside and then in till 10:30 when I finally got Sylvia on the phone.  She stopped for a cup of coffee when she picked up the kids so Pete and I didn't eat dinner till after 11 (I'd given each of the kids a slice of bologna and some milk). I cooked carrots.  I finally got him to bed at 12:00 Midnight.We read The Monkey's Tale and his Batman book.  I read Dove Cottage today-supposed to be funny but it depressed me.  Sylvia's thinking of going home to England for Christmas now.

No comments:

Post a Comment