Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Monday, July 18th, 1977-More One Sheet Weather and a visit with Sister Angelica.

Pete and I both had our blood tests this morning, so I wasn't able to eat any breakfast.  We were ready bey 10:30am-just as well, because Paul Gates, as usual, was early.  We went first to Ontario Pharmacy, my medicaid card was expired-but Bob (Keele-of the same Keeles as Kinney and Keele True Value, another Ontario institution PL) let me have Pete's Methatrexate anyhow (my check hadn't come, and he needs the medicine tomorrow).  After our blood tests, we ate lunch in the cafeteria.  While I had my test, Petey told me, "Mother, you'll have to be brave all by yourself, because I'm going to talk to my friends"...and off he went to visit the lab technicians.  I heard him having a long talk with Sister Angelica and she gave him a postcard picture of the hospital, and marked the windows of the rooms he had slept in (she missed the pediatrics window tho'-I'll have to mark that for him).  Then Phil did Pete's test, a finger stick, for him and Pete didn't make a sound.  He didn't even ask for a hero badge today.  We had Salisbury steak and I let Pete have a minute helping of mashed potatoes and gravy.  I had some rhubarb pie, nicely tart for once.  On the way out we saw Sister Angelica again, and she said she had just run Pete's blood test and it looked good.  After Paul brought us home we took long naps.  Then I got Pete's pool out and filled it.  We let it warm while he watched "Sesame Street", "Mr. Rogers", and "Electric Company".  There's a Victor Herbert special on channel 4 tomorrow and Pete said, "Mommy, this time I'll let you watch it".  After the "Brady Bunch", Pete put on his swimsuit and got in the water.  At first he said it was too cold and didn't want to get in, but after he'd sat down and splashed around a little, he didn't want to get out.  I got him out once, getting his towel soaked in the process, but then he decided to get in again.  He squirted me with his water pistols and splashed me, so I got pretty wet too.  Then we emptied the water by squashing down the sides of the pool since the siphon didn't work, and Pete ran and ran the splashy grass.  Daniel had just cut it yesterday, and Pete even got some blades of grass in his belly button.  Put the pool on the back porch and got Pete dressed.  We went outside with his airplanes and GI Joe and his truck.  Lorraine Bennett called and promised to see us the end of this week.  I told her about Pete's "Jesus Music" and she said "We'll make a tape recording of it.". Then Mike and Joy from Bible school stopped by on their bike ride to play (wildly) with Pete. Started to go in and cook dinner, but Pete saw Daniel playing golf and took his clubs out to play while I cooked.  I made pork chops but Pete held out for hamburger-he golfed 'till it was dark and acquired another ball.  Now he has 5.  I wrote to Robert Belooj today (Not sure who this is-PL).  My check came in the mail and Dad's taking us on errands tomorrow.  Read Pete Hop on Pop and Raggedy Ann and the Cookie Snatcher tonight.  Started my period-very heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment