Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Of Blood Tests, Platelet Counts, and time in the sandbox.

"The hardest part of Blog is to write in it"-Unknown

The following is an abbreviated and highly edited entry due to a graphic description of a specific medical condition (not necessarily related to my Leukemia), that I think might be a little embarrassing were I to run into a reader of the full post on the street (I know most are local)-even though its now more than 37 years after the fact.  Let's just leave it at that =-). PL

John had forgotten to arrange a doctor visit (volunteer driver) for Pete so we had to take a cab and Petey cried because he couldn't go to the park after he was finished at the doctor's.  His white count was down so I had to wait to give his medication until Dr. Baskerville could call Dr. Holt.  They said to cut the dosage in half and then they'd decide what to do after next week's blood test.  Pete had lost a little over a pound this time-they go on so fast and come off so slow!  Bobbie drove us home.  We had lunch, cube steak and green beans for Pete-with beets for me, and took our naps.  Vicky called-the first time-about three and Pete finally went over to watch "Mr. Rogers" and "Sesame Street" with her.  He walked over all by himself.  He was supposed to call me when he got there, and finally remembered in the middle of "Mr. Rogers".  They both came back here for part of "Electric Company".  Vicky gave Pete some sand dollars.  Then he had some chicken soup.  We watched "Odd Couple" off and on while we ate.  Then Marilyn called and came to pick us up.  Pete and Nicole played in her sandbox.  Pete's been talking about building sand castles for ages.  He really wants to go to the beach.  Marilyn gave me some magazines and a beige blouse-it has a spot but I think my sweater vest will cover it.  I gave her a wig.  She's promised to take me to some AAUW meetingsin Payette when they have an interesting program.  I don't want to go to the one here because I don't want to meet Dale Haynes in any context.  (Betty Phipps said Dale was in the computer course with her son, Bill, and dropped out because she couldn't do it...ruined her computer cards).  Marilyn drove by Byron and Patty Chatfield's on the way home and Pete was enchanted with Baby Sarah.  When we got home he was hungry for hamburger so I made him one.  He ate one bite and said he was too tired to eat any more, so I put him to bed.  We read Adam's ABC and Henry, The Explorer, and sorted out his books to go back.  I called Dad and he said he'd take us to the library and the bank tomorrow.  "The Rescuers" is on at the Centre Theater and I want to take Pete.  Found Pete's police car with doors that open today-under his bed.  It's been lost ages.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment