Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, September 7, 2015

Saturday, July 23rd, 1977

The phone woke me a little after nine (I'd gotten up once before to turn on the TV for Pete).  It was Sylvia and she wanted to know if I'd babysit for her and Dave tonight.  I wasn't crazy about the idea, but I wasn't doing anything else, so I said I would.  Pete watched cartoons (and "Children's Film Festival" and "The Little Rascals") solid until 2:00pm.  Then we ate some lunch (but I can't remember what we had) and took our naps. 

I read Bury Me In Gold Lamé by Stanton Forbes, and Hanged Man House by E.X. Ferrars and when I napped I dreamt about a chicken casserole and parsley (Water hemlock, I think) that made you sick, and six gray elephants (out of Peter's 10 What? Mystery Counting book).  I was drowsy and irritable all day.  It was hot and soggy again today.  If only we'd get some rain!  Didn't wake up from our naps until 6:00pm.  We played our Mary Poppins record, and the Lunelighters.  After I turned on the TV again and we watched some of "Lawrence Welk", and Pete finally got to see "Emergency!" again. 

Then I had just one hour to bathe and feed him before we went to Sylvia's and Pete dawdled over everything.  He only ate two slices of bacon for dinner, wouldn't eat his egg.  He went outside to play for a little while before they came and "helped" Daniel dig away the grass along the curb.  Dave picked us up at nine o'clock and Pete, Sharon, and little Davey played cars for awhile.  Pete took along his "emergency bag" stocked with 4 little cars, one big car, a coat for him and a sweater for me (to come home in) and 3 apples.  I took a book but never opened it because I was looking at an old Redbook of Sylvia's. 

Sharon disappeared into the bathroom for a long time and came out with her hair all in rollers.  She asked me to tell her how long to leave them in, then took them out and brushed her hair and said proudly to Pete, "See my curls?" and Pete said "Where, I don't see any." (of course, Pete has "naturally curly hair" like the little girl in the Peanuts cartoons).  Sharon was determined to stay up until Davey went to bed, so she sat in their big living room chair while I diapered Davey and gave him his bottle, and then was so tired I had to carry her into bed.  I forgot to put two diapers on Davey so I'll bet Sylvia has to get up in the night and change him. 

Put Petey down on the couch but he couldn't settle to sleep-shadows, the leaves rustling on the trees, a dog barking down the street, all the unfamiliar cracks and creaks of a strange house frightened him.  Dave had left me a beer, and I was just drinking it (Pete was still awake but resting on the couch with his shoes and socks off), when they came home.  They didn't have any change to pay me so I told them to catch it later.  They each said it hadn't been much fun.  Moore's Alley was dead and they didn't like the group.  We, on the other hand, had a very nice time.  I read Mickey Mouse And The Magic Clock to the 3 kids, Davey on my lap, listening attentively, and Sharon trying to read the words (she does know a few).  Tucked Pete in his own bed and he was right off.

No comments:

Post a Comment