Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Saturday, August 27th, 1977-in which we see a double feature and Nancy is irritated by people who talk in movies (now we know where Pete gets it from)

Pete and I went to the movies with the Loebachs tonight.  We saw "Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown" and "Charlotte's Web".  Pete had seen "Charlotte's Web" before on TV (he told the librarian the plot while we were there this afternoon) but didn't mind seeing it again-and it was, of course, better in colour.  Pete got up at 7:00am to watch TV and didn't eat breakfast until 11:00am, when there was a Frisbee contest he didn't care about.  He had a banana sliced on his cereal and I had to get more beananas today so he could do it again.  He lay down about 1:00pm , and when Granpa came to get us at 2:00pm, he was sound asleep.  At the library, he found a big chairl to sleep in while I got my books.  He finally woke up enough to get his own books.  He told me, "I got some really great books Mom!-Look at the pictures.  I know some are a little bit scary, but I won't be scared, I promise!".
I got through J and K today and started on L-I got some new Emma Lathen's.  I like her hero, John Thatcher.  From the library, we went to Safeway.  Got more cube steak and some very ripe watermelon (I think it will be our last this season).  Mailed a letter to Starr Savage today and sent her a copy of Pete's story about the two little pigs who lived in the snow.  I fixed chicken soup as soon as we got home and we lay down for a nap at 4:30pm.  I set the alarm for 6:00pm so we'd have plenty of time to get ready.  Pete wanted to dress up for the movie so I wore my new blue dress  Betty gave me for the first time.  He wore his "leisure suit".  The Loebachs came at 7:00 so we were right at the head of the queue (or however it's spelled).  The "Charlie Brown" movie was first and Pete thought the parts about being outside in the dark and the owl chasing Woodstock were scary, so he sat in my lap for most of the movie.  There was a couple behind us who had apparently come in on their own, sans kids, and kept explaining the movies very loudly to each other, which was pretty irritating.  Little Davey took off down the aisle by himself and got lost, but Peter went and guided him back.  For the most part he was very well behaved (a lot more active than I remember Pete being at one and a half, but then Pete was in training at the Komstam Nursery to be a proper phlegmatic Englishman).  I heard nothing further about my "emergency phone call" from England, so have decided it was just another ruse to get my phone number.  I fixed Pete and me cube steak and peas and sweet potatoes for me when we got home, but Pete just picked at his dinner.  He said he was so tired he could collapse and he could just go to sleep without a bath, but he insisted on a story because it made him sad if I didn't read one.  He had Ivanbo and The Dragon and I started Death Shall Overcome.  So cool and rainy today the furnace switched on.  Fishing with Bernie tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment