Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Thursday, August 25th, 1977-in which Nancy navigates the bureaucracy of Medicaid, and Stewart sends another threatening letter

Glen called this morning so I asked him about an alternate dentist in case I couldn't wait to see Dr. White, and he said he couldn't give me any names, I'd just have to call them all and see which ones took welfare cards.  Then I asked him about going to see Dr. Daniels and he quoted a regulation I couldn't understand at all-but I went ahead and called for an appointment anyhow.  I need a pap smear, and I've been having pains and needles in my left arm a lot.  I also need to see about having my Tremon prescription renewed.  Pete and I can't go in to see Dr. White until the end of September unless he has a cancellation before then.  Pete had gotten up, eaten his cereal, and gone back to bed.  He slept quite late this morning, and complained of feeling tired all day.  He fixed my cereal for me.  He'd finished the Total, so I was reduced to that awful Banana Crisp stuff, and he put a lot more in the bowl than I wanted.  Then he carefully flattened the cereal with his hand and poured on the milk.  I finished my letter to Uncle Rudy and folded Pete's picture and a wallet sized photo of Pete and me inside, and put it out for the mailman.  It rained again today and was cool enough so I didn't put on the fans.  I tried dusting the one in the bedroom by hand but wasn't very successful.  Dad phoned tonight and I complained to him about it, so he said he had an old vacuum of Grandma Nancy's he thought I might use.  The dirt just falls down inside the fan and is impossible to reach.  I had a letter from Stewart today at this address.  He said the divorce is going to cost me $50,000, I'll wind up on a "funny farm" (and Pete in a children's home), and he's going to get me for perjury, among other things.  I told John about it and he's going to come over Monday to get it and copy it.  Stewart must have gotten the divorce petition...perhaps he got my address from that-but I wish he didn't have it.  Thelma took us to Safeway at 2:00pm.  Pete had a yogurt stick and a burrito with Thelma's kids while he waited in the car.  I got him a new "school book", The Shapes and Sounds of Letters, and some more construction paper-as well as the plain yogurt he wanted.  Bought some cereal bowls and cashed a check so I'd have enough to take him to the movies.  I filled my last WIC coupon and gave Thelma 1 doz. eggs, a large can of pineapple juice, and 2lbs of of cheese (I let her pick them) since we still have lots of eggs and cheese.  Got home too late for Pete to nap.  I napped while he watched TV.  We had dinner (soup, cube steaks, corn) and watched some of "Welcome Back Kotter".  They mentioned Cyrano de Bergerac and Pinocchio, so Pete wanted the story of Pinocchio again.  We played "car sale" and "car wash" since it was too wet and cloudy to risk going for a walk.  Gave him a quick bath-only two boats and two Weebles-and read him The House That Jack Built and My Kitten.  We listened to 'Eroica" and "Hungarian Rhapsody".  I read James' Cover Her Face-not bad

No comments:

Post a Comment