Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, January 3, 2016

August 22nd, 1977

Pete was in fine fettle tonight.  He switched over to 6MP instead of predisone today, and was running a little temperature (99+).  Now I know what "feverish activity" is!  He just wouldn't settle and go to sleep.  Nobody came to take us to the hospital this morning so we finally had to take a cab.  Gordon did our blood tests (mine was a week late).-arm for me, finger stick for Pete.  Sister Angelica was away so he didn't visit in the lab.  We had lunch in the cafeteria.  I had a ham and cheese sandwich and rhubarb pie.  Petey went with veal and mashed potatoes and gravy, and some jello.  I finished for him. Then we took a cab home again.  I talked to Vi on Paul's radio and asked her again if she'd like to go to church.  I told her I start teaching Sunday School  on the 11th. 

We took early naps.  Julie Warren came over just as Pete was lying down so I had to send her away.  Then we watched all Pete's programs.  I called Thelma and she's planning to bring Tommy over about noon.  I called the farm.  Betty said Mom has flu-and I called Dr. Baskerville but Sylvia said nothing can be done, just to wait.  Then I called Mr. Tuttle to tell him I had Betty's key in case the man comes about the door (probably too late, since we had a postcard saying they'd be back tomorrow or Wednesday).  I've got to call Dr. Daniels-pins and needles in my arm, pap smear, prescription refill...and I need to call Dr. White the dentist-I've a tooth that aches whenever I eat anything hot or cold and Pete has never been to the dentist.  I keep putting both off-tomorrow...

Pete woke up twice tonight, scared from having nightmares about the bats in "The Rescuers".  He made me tell him the story again at dinner and this time, for the first time, it upset him.  It's 1am now and he's still awake.  I scrubbed the beets and carrots Dad gave us tonight and Pete helped husk the corn.  We had corn on the cob for dinner, but one piece stayed so tough we couldn't eat it.  Pete made hamburger patties and I mad coleslaw with the red cabbage Dad gave us.  We went outside to play but the mosquitoes were so vicious we came right back in and played Batman and Robin in the library room, pretending the green carpet was grass.  Pete built a very elaborate Loc Bloc house with a garden, then pulled it all apart again.  We built a swing set with a ladder out of Tinkertoys.  Pete listened to "Hardtack, He's a Fine Old Engine again, then had his bath.  He said he was too tired to play, then took two boats and the submarine in the tub.  Read him The Wise Monkey's Tale and School For Sillies then sat with him.  We played my hair was a tent for him to go to sleep in.

No comments:

Post a Comment