Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Tuesday, August 23rd, 1977-in which a relative comes to town and we learn that Pete's Grandfather was the "Black Sheep" of the Hansen family

Today was a very special day.  Just after we had gotten dressed, Dad came to the door with Uncle Elliot.  We hadn't seen him since last summer.  They only stayed a few minutes, but Dad took some pictures of Pete and me with Uncle Elliot.  Just after they left, Leona, the new Public Health nurse arrived.  She gave Pete another "music lesson" as well as checking his pulse and respiration and looking at some little bruises that were worrying me.  Thelma called.  The woman who was supposed to hold her Fair Employment Practices hearing had had a car wreck and couldn't get here-and her other appointment had been moved up.  James and Tommy had gone out after she told them not to, so they couldn't go to the fire station with Pete (at which point, Pete was so upset he had a nosebleed and dashed into the bedroom and slammed the door so I wouldn't see).  We decided to go to the A&W for lunch without the boys if necessary.  Then Sylvia called and asked me to babysit tonight but I told her I couldn't because my uncle was here and I didn't know Dad's plans.  I tried to call John to arrange arrange a ride to the doctor's tomorrow, but our phone was out of order.  Got the phone company and they said they'd check it.  Then Thelma came, with Sissie, James, and Tommy-said Vernon had been arrested last night for "stealing" an old bicycle that had been given to him.  We ate coney dogs (30 cents today!), hamburgers, hot-dogs, and burritos for the kids (Pete forgot his burrito in the car-more tears), milk for Pete, root beer for everyone else.  Then we went to the fire station.  Sissie and Pete went in, the boys had to stay in the car.  Pete saw the new pole-I took pictures of Pete by the pole and at the wheel of the largest engine.  I double exposed, forgot my flashbulbs, but finally got two pictures I hope will be good.  Pete and Sissie got a ride on the fire engine.  Tommy and James were so mad they wouldn't speak to Pete.  Home, naps, and then the man arrived to fix Betty Phipps' doors.  I found the screws for him and he put on one new one.  Then Dad called to say they'd come for us about 7:00pm, so I dashed over to water Betty Phipps' lawn while Pete watched his programs.  Turned off the hose just as Dad and Uncle Elliot arrived.  I changed quickly while they waited in the truck and Pete and I were off to the farm.  We had barbecued steaks for dinner and I had a long visit with Uncle Elliot-the first time we've ever really talked.  Betty told me Monty Keffer had tied to date Tina and she'd flatly forbidden it.  She also told me some members of the church want Pastor Petrasik to resign, and I told her about Ron Eldredge.  She was also surprised that Dad used to be considered the black sheep of his family (poor and "roving").  We got home at 10:00pm and the Phipps' were there waiting to get in.  I had the only key to their house!  Betty gave me a bottle of wine and Pete a helicopter (he took it to bed with him).  We had a bath and washed his hair to be clean for Dr. Baskerville.  I read Jame's The Black Tower.  Pete had Hop On Pop and Mr. Bear and the Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment