Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday, August 28th, 1977-in which Petey goes fishing but doesn't catch anything

Overslept this morning, in spite of the alarm and had only 10 minutes to dress for church.  Fortunately, I had decided to wear what I wore last night and dressed quickly, but I had to finish dressing Petey while Dad was here.  Still, we arri9ved at church on time and I had remembered to put Pete's fishing pole in the car.  Petey had gotten up early, sliced his banana, and eaten his cereal and then gone back to bed.  We sat with Margaret and Erik Bunce at church.  Erik had some little cars with him and he and Pete played (I'd forgotten Pete's cars).  Then Bernie and Richie came in late and sat with Pete and Erik.  After church Dad dropped Bernie and Pete at Becker's pond.  It was cloudy and overcast but the rain held off.  Dad took Mom and me to Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch-I was able to enjoy my mashed potatoes and gravy with a clear conscience since Pete wasn't there to see me.  Then Dad got chicken snacks for Pete and Bernie (I'd saved some of my coleslaw for Pete because he likes it...from there, he won't touch mine).  Then Dad dropped me at home and went back to pick up the boys.  Petey had a bite but the fish got away.  I was glad I didn't have to clean and cook one!  Bernie said he'd take Petey fishing again, only next time at the farm where he thought he'd have better luck.  So Petey must have behaved well.  We napped-I was exhausted from staying awake worrying about what Stewart might do until 3am this morning.  Then we watched "The Muppet Show", "Wild Kingdom", "Wonderful World of Disney"...then Pete and I went outside to play "Justice League" with his airplane, helicopter, and pickup truck.  It was so cold we wore coats (our furnace came on again last night).  Vicky called to see if Pete started school tomorrow.  Maybe by next year he won't have to make so many doctor visits.  Then we came in again and Pete watched "6 Million Dollar Man".  We had hot dogs and beans for dinner while I ate last night's left overs and told him stories of "Charlie Brown" and "Charlotte's Web".  He like "Charlotte's Web"better than "The Rescuers".  Then we played "Snoopy and Charlie Brown and Woodstock" while I watched the Boston Pops with Ethel Merman and part of Masterpiece Theater's first episode of Charles Dickens' life.  Petey listened to "Hardtack is a Fine Old Engine".  Then I put him to bed and read Zeek Silver Moon and we talked about baking bread together like the story.  Carol Wallace gave him a Sambo's book at church today and we cut out the Sambo and Tiger paper dolls and played with those tonight.  I read Murder Against The Grain-Soviet American wheat treaty (?-writing was a bit faded here-PL)-ahead of its time.

No comments:

Post a Comment