Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Monday, January 4, 2016

Friday, August 26th, 1977-in which Nancy receives an emergency call from London and Pete worries about bats (again)

The telephone company called tonight and said they had an emergency call for me-would I please call a London number, which they gave me.  I called Dad and talked it over with him.  He assumed, as did I, that it was another of Stewart's tricks.  He suggested I call John Sandquist so I did and gave him the number.  He said he wouldn't call it, but would pass it on.  I told John that Stewart had tried once to commit suicide and I was a little worried on that score-but I knew, even if I talked to Stewart, that I wouldn't tell him anything he'd want to hear.  As I told John, the only thing I'd consider an emergency would be if something happened to Pete and he was right here, sleeping safely in his bed.  He didn't take a nap this afternoon, then went to sleep in front of the TV watching "Wild Kingdom", so I carried him in and put him to bed.  He woke just long enough to have some chicken soup, milk, and a story (When the Root Children Awoke and Batman and Robin: From Alfred to Zowie), a song, and then back to sleep.  He had his methatexate today and complained of his stomach hurting so I gave him 1/2 a Tylenol-perhaps that's why he was so sleepy.  I set the alarm for 7:am in the morning so I can switch on his cartoons.  I called Sylvia and we arranged to go to the movies ("Charlotte's Web" and "Run For Your Life, Charlie Brown") tomorrow night.  Dad couldn't come in today so he's planning to take us to the library tomorrow, too.  I called Thelma tonight but Sissie said she was busy and couldn't come to the phone.  I just pray Stewart wasn't thinking of suicide tonight.  It would be a terrible thing to have on my conscience that a phone call could have saved him and I didn't make it.  But once we're divorced he can't be anything to me anyhow.  I have to think of Pete and how to keep Stewart from doing him harm.  I wrote to Starr Savage tonight while Pete was sleeping.  I'll get Pete to paint her a picture tomorrow to slip in the letter.  Elliot's left and Dad decided not to go with him after all because Mom's health is so precarious and he didn't want Betty to have all the care to doalone.  Must be rather like Noah's sons seeing the old man drunk and naked for Betty to have to help Dad with Mom's care.  Embarassing for both of them.  I fixed the cinnamon bread I got at Safeway today., but didn't find it any better hot with icing than cold without.  It was rainy and cold today and we stayed in all day.  I ready Haining's The Ghost's Companion and The Wild Night Company.  Washed my hair.  Pete worried about bats again.

No comments:

Post a Comment