Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Poem typed on thin rice paper

The following is a Poem I found among my mom's materials.  It's not attributed to anyone, but I'm not sure if that means she wrote it herself or if it was just something she had come across that she enjoyed.  Either way, it was kept in her effects which is an indication to me that it inspired her in some way.  If others recognize, I would be happy to properly acknowledge the original author-PL

If I had but one night to spend with you
for laughter, music, love, etc.
It would not be June 21st
and I say December 21st too brief
Should we try the land of our forefathers
the land of the Midnight Sun
where nights are six months long
Too short to satisfy my longing.  An instant
A moment with you is an eternity with another
any...
other...
eternity!!!
So my night will not be the side of Mercury
that never sees the sun
The mere life of a planetis too short to spend with you
I would choose the longest night
of that larger existance in which our
expanding universe is but the flaring of a flame
and when it was done, would part from you
with the same regrets I have now
and through always

-Unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment