Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Friday, July 1st, 1977-In which the milk sours, juice turns to cider, and too much coffee is drunk

Today was a washout...we took our naps early and Pete even went back to bed an extra time to "to sleep till Thelma comes" to be ready for Thelma, but Thelma didn't come.  We waited till nearly five then called.  There had been a theft at Thelma's school-she had $25.00 taken-then there was a windstorm -then Herman was coming in-then there was an argument with Herman over Monty's Social Security checks...so we didn't get to go over and Pete had hysterics he was so disappointed.  Finally I told him I'd take him to the Dairy Queen for lunch tomorrow (:But I want to gout  tonight,l Mommy, I don't want to stay home!")  Our milk soured in the refrigerator.  Pete's apple juice had turned into apple cider in the can, the hot dogs we had for dinner looked funny (they were coated with a white fat-I boiled them long enough to kill anything, I think) the corn bread I got at Albertsons fell apart in our sandwiches.  We're out of everything and food stamps, too.  My check came and the stamp forms but I couldn't get to the bank (I was waiting for Thelma) and it was too late to get food stamps anyhow because they don't sell them after three!!  I smoked too much, drank too much coffee, and read too much today.  Finished Murder Out Of Commission; RB Dominic (which I started after I finished Creasy's Splinter of Glass last night); Farewell Party, June Drummond; and A Shadow of Himself, Michael Delving.  I also changed the beds, carefully rumpling Peter's so he could be grownup and make it himself, and finally wrote Howard and thanked him for the $40.00 he and Sandy returned to me.  I didn't event get to take Petey out for his evening walk; it rained briefly, the wind blew a lot, and the sky continued to look threatening all evening.  We listened to Dr. Seuss' "Bartholomew and the Ooblec", "Fox in Socks", and "Green Eggs and Ham", coloured and cut out some of the animals in the "mini safari" book Betty Phipps gave Pete last summer (he's just "grown into" it), played with the Loc Blocs.  Pete had a good time standing on my feet and pretending to be the waiter in his surrealistic restaurant (Don't ask-let's just say I was a weird kid at times =-)  -PL)...and we played dollhouse-taking all the dolls to the hospital where they had trays and IVs-what Pete remembers most from his tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment