Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Tuesday, July 12th, 1977

We had our doctor's appointment this morning-Patty took us-and Dr. Baskerville said Pete's blood test was good, and his checkup was fine, except that he's gained two pounds...assisted I'm sure, by Thelma's 3 hot dogs with buns, grandpa's anniversary dinner, and the Prednisone he's been taking.  I'd been giving him extra milk because of his bone softening but she said he might be absorbing phosphorus instead of calcium and told me to give him 3 Tums a day because they are pure calcium.  Patty hadn't time to take us to the park but she said she'd try to later in the week.  Pete ate a lot of green beans today-had bacon, eggs, and green beans for lunch.  After our naps, Vicky Plaza phoned and asked Pete to come over, I called back to check with her mother and got Laurie, her 16 year old sister.  She said it was O.K. for Pete to come over so she came and got him.  They watched "Sesame Street", "Mr. Rogers", and "Electric Company", and then I thought it time for Pete to come home so I called and Laurie and Vicky walked Pete home.  Then he wanted to go to the Dairy Queen-I've been promising him we would go ever since last week-so we walked over and had hot dogs.  I had root beer, Pete had orange, and he gave the order, paid for it, and helped carry the food to the table.  We walked back and had just gotten home when Sylvia came by on her way to do her grocery shopping.  She had a cup of coffee with me while Pete and Sharon played "Trouble" (a dice game with pieces to move around the board), and went outside to play Pete' version of golf with his clubs.  Pete and Sharon seem to get on very well together.  We showed Sylvia the organ (she said she might have a little table we could put it on) and Sylvia said "Pete you'll have to play for Sharon to tap dance".  Pete was very taken with the idea (but what he really wants is a drum).  After they left I caught only the end of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Gandoliers".  Then I helped Pete set up his "Tiny Zoo" and put him to bed.  He was pretending I was a radio tonight and he could tune me to speak "English (British Accent)" or speak "American".  No side effects from the Methatrexate today.  We read part of The Big Book of Real Boats and Ships, Tweety and Sylvester, and My Teddy Bear.  I read Silent Castle Barebane which had the bloodiest ending I've encountered in a Gothic novel-swords, pistols, and quicksand.

No comments:

Post a Comment