Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Saturday, June 25th, 1977-Cartoons, Stockings, and a Disappointment

Pete woke me up at 6:30am to turn on the cartoons for him, after which I went back to sleep.  Had a curious dream about walking beside a river-kept encountering little brown owls tucked into niches in the cliff on the other side of the river.  I don't know if they were real owls or pottery ones, but the seemed very important.  Finally woke up and Pete and I watched more cartoons together.  Then Pete made his bed and we played "WalkityKaboo"-he wanted to be tied up and then be "Steve Loston" (the way he translates the $6 Million Dollar Man "Steve Austin"'s name) breaking his ropes and escaping.  Then Petey started packing his suitcase to take to Betty Phipps' house.  He packed his pajamas (even tho its so hot, I'm sure he'll sleep in his underpants), two pairs of slippers because he couldn't decide which ones he liked best-his "duckies" or his brown ones-his baptismal suit which he planned to wear to Betty's but he wanted in the suitcase till time to go, a pair of socks to go with his suit, clean underpants, and his Teddy Bear.  He wanted a small suitcase so he could carry it, so I took the loose mirror out of my dressing case and let him use that.  We had pork chops, apple sauce, and green pepper strips for lunch.he had all his medicines and the pediamycin seemed to make him sleepy because he took a long nap.  I gave Pete a bath when he got up so he'd be clean for Mrs. Phipps, and he ate dinner (we split a cube steak and I had mushrooms with mine, and finished my lettuce and onion salad from yesterday) in his underpants in case of spills which was lucky because he dribbled grape juice down his tummy.  He was about to get dressed in his good clothes when Betty Phipps came over to say they were taking him to the park in Payette, so he put his play clothes back on.  Took him over full of his importance and carrying his own suitcase in one hand, Teddy Bear in the other at quarter to eight-he just couldn't wait any longer.  I got dressed for the party0slacks, sleeveless top, stockings (in spite of the heat), earrings, and then I waited, and waited, and waited but nobody came.  I called Betty and told her I wasn't going  but she kept Pete anyhow-and had Bill go out and get me two beers so I could have my own party.  Pete's glad because I was wearing my sandals and Betty Phipps teased me about my crooked toes.  I wrote to Lorraine Bennett, mended "Dolly's" leg, read, listened to Haydn, drank my beer and took a leisurely bath-on my own for the first time in months but I would have liked to go to the party.  They could have called anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment