Nancy Lawson

Nancy Lawson
a picture from her early teaching days in San Franciso

Friday, August 14, 2015

June 22nd, 1977-In which Pete's father finds his millions...or not

Marilyn (Cates-PL) came and took us to the park.  We couldn't go to Lion's Club Park because they were watering so we went to one near 4th avenue on the other side of of town.  Marilyn left Pete and Nicole with me and she took Kristen and went to get her allergy shot.  Marilyn told me about a friend of hers whose child has uncontrollable temper tantrums.  She was referred to John Sandquist but refused to go "because that's only for parents who beat their children".  Gave John a boost; I think he's great.  Then we went to the Dairy Queen.  Pete had milk with chocolate in it because he wanted " a different color of milk."  We got home about 12 and Pete got too tired to wait for Grandpa so he lay down and went to sleep.  At 1:30 I called to see if Daddy wanted to come later but he'd already left.  I got Pete up and we went to the library while Dad ran errands.  I returned "Lieutenant Kieje"-I never even played it this time.  Meant to get Pete another story record but I forgot.  Pete went into the haunted house (a library display-PL) and the "story lady" showed him a terrarium she'd made with things she found on beaches.  Pete got his own books with my card.  I'll be glad when he can have a card of his own.  He can "read" his "opposites" book now.  After the library, Dad took us to Safeway (now Red Apple Marketplace-PL), and I used up most of the rest of my food stamps on coffee and juice.  Safeway only had Eddy's bread-one size, one kind (white) bread.  I finally found one last stray loaf of the sprouted grain raisin bread Pete likes.  The "pull by" date was June 20th, but I got it anyhow.  Then I filled a WIC  coupon and got 2lbs of of cheese-a really nice assortment of Colby, cheddar, Velveeta spread, and Kuminost spiced natural.  We came home and I brewed some coffee.  John Sandquist called while Dad was here and Dad fixed the hook on the refrigerator door while I talked to John.  He'd had another letter from Stewart (My father-PL)-said he he couldn't make any sens of it-and Stewart had called him today.  He said Stewart did all the talking (Yup!-PL) while he made an occasional note for half-an-hour.  Stewart told him he has $12 million (dollars) backing from some bank to import motor homes and is making $636.00 a month so John said "How about some support?" and Stewart said " Nancy said she didn't want any".  He also told John he hadn't known where to get in touch with me for 2 years and that he'd never sent any letters without return addresses.  He then gave John " a guaranteed address" ( the one he claims is his mother's) but said they would not accept any registered letters.  He asked John about prospects for a reconciliation if he came over and John told him he would not be welcome.  He asked for a picture of Petey and for my address but John told him he would relay any messages .  Cliff Looney called this afternoon and I asked if he needed more money but he said he was going to absorb the extra costs because he knew my financial position was not very good.  John gave Stewart Cliff's phone number.  Dad said today he and Mom should have stayed in Casper (he'd brought in a box of stuff from Betty that she "didn't need"-mostly kitchen stuff he'd brought from Casper).  He bought a new watch band today-I wish I'd given it to him for Father's Day.  I told him they might have been happier there, but I didn't know what Pete and I would have done without him and his support in Pete's illness.  He told me he was pleased because I seemed to be doing much better.  He'd missed Wednesday lunch but wouldn't stay for me to feed him.  He said he looked forward to the day I'd be self-supporting again.  I hope maybe someday I can do something with children's services or the Mental Health clinic, even if it means learning to drive all over.*  Dad said he'd found my beginner's license in some stuff he was going through.  He was sad today-but I hope I convinced him that Pete and I really needed him.  We took naps after he left.  Pete had his pillow and blanket in front of the TV set.  Sylvia (Loebach-A friend Mom refers to often in these early pages but for whom I have little/no memory-PL) called and asked me to babysit for little Davey at nine tomorrow while she and Sharon have their hair cut.  She insisted on paying me so she doesn't  "get too far behind" with babysitting.  Pete and I played cars outside after our naps in front, then brought everything in so he could play with tricycle in back.  Betty Phipps came over to talk and he got and he got grubby writing in the the dirt to show her how he could make letters.  Scrubbed Pete up and Betty took us for a ride/  We drove by Bonanza 88 (sort of like a "dollar store" in the area that is now the St. Alphonus Rehab/Medical Complex + Plaza Inn-PL) and I though about dashing in to get more shorts for Petey, but they were closed.  Safeway isn't selling toys any more either.  Then we stopped at DQ and I got Pete a pushup Popsicle...he wanted some white milk because "chocolate is fattening" and he didn't want Tab (I don't blame him-it tastes terrible).  Then he wanted to save the carton for his "store".  He wanted to go over to Betty Phipps' house to play "Trouble" and he fussed and fussed til she gave him the game.  I was really ashamed of him-hope he doesn't get the notion he can have everything he wants by fussing.  We ate late (I didn't start to cook anything till after 10:00).  Pete only ate 2 slices of bacon...it was too hot to eat.  Then he took a bath while I put toys up so baby Davey won't get into them.  He got out and dried himself...then got back in to get his toys out.  He slipped and scared himself, but wasn't hurt except in his dignity (certainly not the first time-PL).  We taped his toes today as Dr. Baskerville suggested but he begged me not to tell anybody.  He cried when I put the tape on but I told him it was so his toes wouldn't be crooked and funny-looking like mine and that made him laugh.  The tape came of in the tub and he begged me not to do them again until tomorrow.  I don't know if he needs it all the time or if he can have an "overnight vacation"  Read him The Peasant's Pea Patch tonight.  He went to sleep at midnight.

*PL Context: Mom never did learn to drive but in her later years, just months prior to her passing, she did toodle around the State Hospital parking lot in my Toyota Corolla with me in the passenter seat...going verrry sloooowly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment